sdWhy You Treat Me Like a Dog?: Saturday Night at Da Movies .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
The Main Page
Saturday, March 18, 2006
 
Saturday Night at Da Movies
The tagline for the film pictured below is:

The robbery should have taken 10 minutes. 4 hours later, the bank was like a circus sideshow. 8 hours later, it was the hottest thing on live TV. 12 hours later, it was all history. And its all true.

I won't insult you by asking you to identify Al Pacino in one of his greatest roles, though he didn't want an Oscar for this one (he was nominated). Identify the film, and tell me why Pacino and his costar (John Cazale) were robbing the bank in the first place.






Past Saturday Nights Flicks:

Saturday Night Movie I
Saturday Night Movie II
Saturday Night Movie III
Saturday Night Movie IV
Saturday Night Movie V
Comments:
Wanderer...easy! LOVE this movie. Pacino should have won an Oscar...
Dog Day Afternoon.
They needed the money so (same actor who played Fredo) could have a sex change operation (I will fess up...my husband helped with the reason they robbed the bank, but I knew the movie in a second!)
Whew! I can finally have some dinner after sitting here since last night.
 
Hey Wanderer, I just noticed...I'm a Cool People blog...Thanks! (I bet Bella put in a good word for me after the Meatball post)
 
I think it was a third party who needed the operation.
 
ralphie...you could be right (like I said, I needed a little help on that one...maybe Mr. Cruisin was wrong. Don't tell him I said that)
 
Attica! Attica!
 
YES!!!
 
Ralphie is right, the third party who "needed the operation" was Al Pacino's character's lover and not one of the robbers. As detailed in Wikipedia, in real life Al Pacino's character survived the robbery and his lover did end up becoming a woman.

The Attica line is considered a classic. Al Pacino's character, Sonny, gains the sympathy of the crowds outside the bank (as well as the audience watching the movie). When he steps out of the bank to confer with the police, he shouts "Attica, Attica, Attica," a reference to the Attica Prison riots of a year or so before in which the police killed innocent bystanders along with the rioters. The crowd supports him and cheers him on. Sonny becomes a celebrity in their midst because he's one of their own, and the press come to love him equally. (Excerpt from John J. Puccio's review at DVDtown).

In any case Cruisin' Mom, with Mr. Cruisin's (slightly off, we won't tell) help, does it again!
 
I will happily share the winning honors with Ralphie. (again, don't tell Mr. Cruisin)
 
I will do this without looking at the above answers:

Dog Day Afternoon
He robbed the bank because he was having a bad day!
 
Ok one out of two is not bad! And Damn, CM beat me again!
 
you need to eat your Wheaties S.T. and get here faster!
 
Ok I ate my Wheaties and it's Saturday night (for us East Coasters)...where is my Saturday Night Flick???

I gotta beat Randi this time!!!

(I'm not too competitive)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Powered by Blogger