sdWhy You Treat Me Like a Dog?: Capitol police apologize to activist Sheehan .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
The Main Page
Wednesday, February 01, 2006
 
Capitol police apologize to activist Sheehan
Whether one supports the War in Iraq or not, what happened to Cindy Sheehan at the State of the Union address is a travesty and should be an embarassment to all Americans. Ms. Sheehan had her constitutionally guaranteed right to freely express herself violated, and her rights were further violated by false imprisonement. And this for non-violently and silently wearing a t-shirt with an anti-war slogan. The fact that the wife of a Republican Congressman was also told to leave the chamber for wearing a T-shirt supporting our troops is similarly inexcusable. One wonders why she wasn't arrested, however.

An "apology" by the Capitol police does not suffice. The arresting officers should be disciplined, and an investigation mounted to determine exactly where the order to arrest her came from.

This is a woman who made the ultimate sacrifice for our country - she lost her son - in order to preserve the very freedoms that were violated by her arrest. Shame on the Capitol police, and shame on whomever ordered them to arrest her.
Comments:
OK. Fine.

But also say that she's a wacked out fringe-dweller who has been aligning herself with the biggest anti-Israel and anti-Jew luminaries around. Which is not to say that what happenned to her should have happenned.

On b&c's and my scale of evil, she should be hit by a truck.
 
Wanderer, brave post (especially knowing your conservative readership!!!).

P.S. don't you like Simon?
 
Bean - thank you for at least validating the fact that her rights were violated, whether you think she should be hit by a truck or not. I don't like some of her "friends" either, but I do think her (and other anti-war protestors) deserve to be heard.

CM- you're one of our readers - I have a feeling this bugs you as well. I don't fear offending any of those conservatives anyway, let them eat cake! (And I love Simon by the way!)

goldstone, goldstone, goldstone - you might not agree with her, but you still can't arrest her for no reason to shut her up in this country. In any case, its not the paint fumes, its the cough syrup.
 
Au contraire, Wanderer...you don't know me very well. If you read my blog, you should know better.
I figured the way Simon's mouth was taped up...you weren't too fond of him!
 
I'm surprised you would say that cruisin' mom. I never got a hint from your blog (and I love every post!) that you thought people should be falsely imprisoned for exercising their right to free speech. (I hope I'm not offending you here, but I hope you're not misunderstanding my post.)

I don't have a problem with a lively debate about the War and its merits, and encourage it. I have a VERY BIG PROBLEM when people get arrested in this country for legitimately expressing themselves. That is what my post is about, not whether or not the War is right or wrong, or whether or not Cindy Sheehan is a despicable character. Both of those issues are irrelevant.
 
Wow, Wanderer, I completely misunderstood what you said...I thought you meant that I was bothered by what you said, not that I too was bothered by what happened (oy, does that make sense?)I completely agree, she should not have been arrested. (hope we are clear now). And, thank you so much for your sweet compliment about my blog.
 
goldstone- Sheehan never even had the opportunity to disrupt the SOTU, she was arrested for nothing, and that's what's eff'ed up! Why didn't they arrest the Congressman's wife with the Pro-Troops t-shirt? The "rules" you quote are non-existent and based on an "old unwritten interpretation of the prohibitions about demonstrating in the Capitol," according to the Capitol Police Chief. Just face the fact that she was arrested because someone in the Capitol didn't like her politics.

I trust you goldstone nonetheless, especially if you can guarantee me its going to be Cheney/Delay in 2008! That would be every Democrat's dream ticket to beat! I fear its going to end up something more palatable to mainstream America like McCain/Condi or something.

Cruisin' Mom - I knew we saw eye to eye on this one! :-)
 
Sheehan is a wack job. I am not pleased with what happened either, but someone tell her that her 15 minutes of fame have expired.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Powered by Blogger